09 October 2007

the drought of aught-seven

So all we've been hearing about lately is the drought, how low Lake Lanier is, how Fulton County's pipes are all leaky, and how screwed up Georgia's water system is in general. B and I have been following the rules, watering our little flowers with the watering can, not using the sprinkler except when allowed (which at this time, means not at all!).

On the news yesterday morning, they had a story about a community somewhere north of us...maybe Forsyth County...and how high their water bills have been lately. Apparently there's an error somewhere, because everyone's bill is higher than it should be, and no one can figure out what's going on. I felt a little sorry for them until I realize that these folks have--normally--the highest water bills I've ever seen. The current bills are in the $500-600 range, which the people on TV said was normally what it was when they ran their sprinkler systems. So I'm guessing a normal bill for these people, with no irrigation system, would be in the $200-300 range? Our bill usually runs no more than $25 a month.

Makes me want to go home and turn on my sprinkler...

No comments: