19 February 2008

Arts & Crafts Conference at the Grove Park Inn, Asheville

Wow, this sounds like a serious conference for serious Arts & Crafts folks. I never knew that the Grove Park Inn was Arts & Crafts era, just that it was expensive ;) The conference is out of our price range, but it looks like the shows (antiques, books, etc.) are just $10 for a three-day pass. I love this photo I found online, both for the fact that it is "Absolutely Fireproof" as well as the fine print at the bottom that states "We do not entertain conventions. We have found that they disturb the homelike atmosphere of the Inn and interfere with the comfort of guests." Click on the photo to see more of this brochure. Personally, I'm quite grateful to live during a time that one doesn't have to worry about the quality of "plumbing and refrigeration" when choosing a hotel. :)

In another bit of shameless plugging, I just got an email from Crate & Barrel promoting their new Bungalow collection of furniture. It's sort of a Zen Craftsman look...

Brandon's mom also brought us a brochure of Craftsman & Mission style furniture from a furniture maker in Franklin, TN. Apparently there are a lot of Amish/Mennonite furniture makers in that area, the furniture is gorgeous, and the prices are very nice, especially for the quality. Obviously, being Amish or Mennonite, they don't have a website, and I understand that many of them don't even have photos of their work, but if you bring them a photo, they can recreate a piece of furniture from it. I'll try to remember to post the info for this particular furniture maker on the blog soon; I think it's a store that sells the work of Amish craftsman, hence the fact that they have brochures with photos.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I just got that same email from crate and barrel. Not too bad price points, I wonder about the quality?

Nolan said...

I've never bought furniture from them, but always thought the quality seemed good (we have a store here in Atlanta).

Jen said...

I've had mixed experience, some good and well made, and some, not so much. All for clients, not me. I need furniture... one day.

Anonymous said...

We had an email comment from Marsha saying that L.L. Bean sells Mission style furniture as well, and that the quality is very good. We'll have to check it out.