05 February 2008

our neighborhood: apathetic or just sleeping in?


So I woke up around 6:15am this morning, determined to get to the polls early and avoid a long wait. Sleep won over determination, however, and I dragged myself out of bed at 6:30am. I arrived at the library where I'm supposed to vote to find an almost empty parking lot. Inside, there were only three voting machines and only three people ahead of me, one of whom was an older gentleman who was yelling about getting a Democratic ballot when he had clearly checked Republican on his form. I remember waiting for more than an hour to vote in Decatur in 2004. Today I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. The precinct is only 2 minutes from our house, too, so it was nice that I had time to get breakfast and still end up at work early.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good for you! I wish I could vote... I'm registered as nonaffiliated and we have a caucus system here, so I am shut out. :(
I don't know that I am willing to affiliate though...

I'll be sure to vote in November, though!

We are in said...

I don't think people turn out for presidential primaries the way they do for presidential elections. Though I think 2006 brought people out to clean some house as best they could.

Good for you for getting out early and making your choice. Super Tuesday!

VirtualM said...

I went to the library at about 10:30 for storytime and voting, expecting a packed parking lot. It was much the same - no line, in and out. Everyone else I talked to was in a different precinct. Maybe the one for Colonial Hills is small? Who knows, but hopefully a lot of people voted throughout the day.

Wry Epicures said...

it was a 20min wait for me in downtown decatur, the poll people told me that they were SLAMMED earlier and it hadn't really slacked off yet. this was at 11AM.