01 August 2008

blogging is for posers

I've been looking forward to this book since reading about it on Houseblogs.net a few months ago. All the Way Home: Building a Family in a Falling-Down House by David Giffels finally came into the library this week and I grabbed it off the cart, toting it home hoping to find a kindred spirit in the DIY world. After reading about a third of the way into it, I not only fear that my husband is not unlike him in dangerous ways, but that we are total posers in our DIY pursuits. This guy had raccoons living in closets and large patches of sky visible from the "Master Bedroom," not to mention a previous owner who wouldn't leave. I look around my tidy, neat little bungalow and wonder if I have enough adventurous spirit to tackle a house like that...and secretly hope that I do. Do a Google search for lots of articles, or just get the book. Another post when I've finished reading...

2 comments:

Jayne said...

I saw this book last night at B&N and almost bought it, but decided on the Old House Journal Compendium instead. I'll be looking forward to reading your review--and to the book arriving at my local library, too.

Amalie said...

I think this is the first sign that our houses have taken over-- WE feel inferior if the houses didn't give us ENOUGH trouble!!

I felt that way, too, especially when I saw the many baking pans collecting water from his leaky roof. Made our leaks seem like little summer showers by comparison...