17 March 2009

Brandon's Update II

So, here is a list of the things I am trying to accomplish before the twins come in May (when we expect that non-essential work will be put to the side, at least for a while):

-Finish front door! I really want to finish this to install it soon.

-Clean up basement. We have a lot of junk, and are planning on having a yard sale in April, so I need to go through everything to clear out the, oh yeah, it is not junk, we have a lot of great stuff that everyone will want to look through and buy!

-Clean, sand, paint, and install two-panel doors on the bathrooms and the master bedroom. I have the doors, but they need a lot of work first. I have all the hardware (from my find from the house 2 doors down that was throwing away early-century massive 5 panel doors with Eastlake style door knobs and plates, with the mortise locks inside!). Yesterday I bought a two panel door from a guy here in East Point, in Jefferson Park, which has a window at the top, which we want to use for the guest bath (with window frosted, which needs to be done), that is in great condition.

-Install bathroom exhaust fans. I have already purchased these: one with a built-in light for the main bath, and a basic fan only for the second bath. I will need Paul's help with these.

-Install flood lights on the corners of the house facing the driveway. Once again, Paul may be required to do this. :)

-Re-seed back yard with Centipede grass. I may be a little late doing this, but hope it works.

-Build concrete burm at base of wall below the bonus room. This area has plywood all the way to the ground and needs to be replace with a short concrete brick wall. Not looking forward to doing this.

-And, my project that Nolan doesn't endorse, digging out a new room in the basement. Wait, this isn't as crazy as it may sound. In the spot of our old furnace (which is still there), there is a place that is dug out of the dirt and is at least 8 feet tall of space, and about 8 feet by 8 feet or so. I think this would make a great studio for me. I would need to level out the dirt, build a concrete block retaining wall of about 4 feet, then build in a stud wall above that, then finish off. Anyway, that will not get done before the twins arrive.

So, think I will get all this done? Yeah, not gonna happen, huh. I at least want to try. And, there are always more projects waiting!

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Whew. I'm tired out just reading about all that work! Tell Nolan hi for me!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I can attest to the fact that babies really slow down your home projects! Get it all done now! :)
Carrie

heidi said...

Hi Guys, just wanted to say that I'm new to your blog, and congrats on the twins! I have a pair & then a single (yes, be VERY careful after you have the first 2)
Twins are amazing & wonderful & hard to navigate.
The early years went by in a blur. Enjoy every minute!!!
Also, color-code the bottles, so you know who drank what ;-)

Anonymous said...

Love the basement idea B. Just be sure to drylock the concrete. Trust me! Can't wait to hear about the babies...

Tiffany of TEEMS