30 March 2009

A multitude of doors!










These are three of the doors we (I should really say me, Brandon) acquired for the house. The blue one is a Craftsman style door, but someone has ripped the shelf off of it. I am contemplating building a new shelf out of pine (the door, under the bright blue paint, appears to be unstained heart pine). The white door in the middle is a two panel interior door, intended for our guest bathroom, after we frost, or replace with stained glass, the glass panel. And, the third... this has been my side project all winter. Whenever I disappeared in the shop for a while, Nolan could expect to find me bending over this door (it was on sawhorses) using a heat-gun and paint scrapper to remove the layers (at least 3) of white paint that covered it. This is the perfect Craftsman style front door for our house, as it matches our windows (six panes on the top) and, I believe, that I can restore it to a deep, almost cedar red that will complement our house. The only problem, is that it has been damaged and poorly repaired along the doorknob side. Ah, I love a challenge!
This is a close-up of some of what I have accomplished with it:
One last door. See the big white door behind the brown one? That is the one we found last summer, which we cannot use, and apparently can't sell. It is like 89" tall, and can't be cut down that much. If anyone is interested, please make an offer (click on the link for more info)

4 comments:

garywayne said...

I'm beginning my hunt for a new (old) front door for my house. You say the white monster is 89'' tall, but how wide is it? Would you post or e-mail me pictures of it, front and back? What kind of condition is it in? Any idea of the type of wood? What's your desired price range?

Hi, I'm Gary, by the way. I have a small shotgun-style house in South Georgia, Americus, to be precise. We're practically neighbors, well, online, at least.

You can reach me at gwwilliamsjr@gmail.com

Thanks!

garywayne said...

I was lurking on your blog and just found other pictures of the white monster in a separate entry. I think most of my questions are answered.

I still may be interested, but I'll have to definitely do some measuring at my house first.

Sandy said...

I love the doors!

Amalie said...

It's hardly a permanent solution, but instead of frosting our bathroom glass, we bought the vinyl static cling that looks like frosted glass and put it over the window in our bathroom. Frosted glass was neither in the time budget nor the money budget at the moment; this was a good-looking and quick, if not permanent, solution. I was pretty impressed with it.