15 May 2010

stains be gone!

Mealtimes are pretty messy in our house these days.  Two babies x high chairs x finger foods x white grout = ick.  But I discovered that a toothbrush will scrub banana out of the grout whether you use cleaner or grout stain!  So I skipped the scrubbing with cleaner and went straight for the staining.  I was surprised by the results--it pretty much looks like it should have been this way all along.

It was pretty easy and took about two hours to do the whole room.  I just brushed it on with a toothbrush, doing the whole room, and then started back at the beginning with a scrub sponge and a bowl of water.  I scrubbed the extra stain off the tile and it came up pretty easily.  Then I went back over it with a wet rag to clean up any extra bits of stain (sort of like scraped up, rolled bits of paint).  Making sure I had gotten all the bits of stain up took a while. 

The first photo shows the whole floor covered in stain, prior to clean up.  The last photo shows the finished floor.  We do still need to cover the grout with a sealant, since the stain we used didn't have one added in.

No comments: