06 February 2013

operation fiesta ware

I will never forget wandering around Macy's before we got married, trying to decide on a china pattern to register for because we were "supposed to."  We finally chose something blue and forgettable (I can't even remember what it was) and started to head home.  We got almost to the door and stopped.  We ran back and deleted all the blue and registered instead for a set of lovely and durable everyday dishes by Denby.



We still use them every day and have yet *knock on wood* to chip or break a single one!  We have mysteriously lost one bowl--last known sighting was at a Halloween party when I was pregnant four years ago--but the price of replacement pieces online has gone sky high and we refuse to pay that much for one bowl!  Which leads me to our current situation...while I love, love, love the Denby, I find myself wishing for a little more color from time to time.  Enter, Fiesta!  When we moved to the rental house, I was determined to add some color with chair cushions and tablecloths--and thus red, blue, green, and yellow entered our lives for the first time since we got married.  (Brandon is more of a "earthtone" sort of person.  Huge understatement!) 

So for my birthday this year, I planned, schemed, and connived to get these beauties:



Red!  Green!  Yellow!  Blue!  (The little yellow salt and pepper shakers had already made their appearance a few months ago.)  I took this photo about five minutes after I unpacked them--I washed one mug and made tea right away :)  I think they will fit in quite nicely here.  (The red cabinet in the photo has since been moved to another wall but still holds dishes.  I moved all the Denby to the dining room where it can hang out with the other earthtones and be happy.) 

Added bonus:  The girls had been eating on mostly plastic dishes.  My attempts to get them to eat using the Denby failed miserably.  "Those are grownup plates!" they would say.  I'm not sure what that says about Fiesta, but so far they LOVE it.  They've designated a color for each of us and the top shelf of the dishwasher--which cannot be set to anything without a heated dry--is no longer jammed with plastic.  We have four plates, four saucers, four bowls--just as you see here--and we wash them after each meal.  The dishwasher seems a bit empty and lonely this morning and I'm wondering if I'll have to find something to put it in so I can run the silverware and glasses later.

So...I know this is more a "buying new stuff" vs. "decluttering and making do" sort of post, but I think it most definitely fits into the "if you love it, keep it" category of home decor.  It certainly makes me smile and I almost look forward to washing dishes.  How weird is THAT?



3 comments:

Nolan said...

I forgot to add that I got the dishes from this site: http://www.zestydishes.com/servlet/StoreFront

They were awesome and let me mix and match place settings for a price lower than any local store.

And I think they also raise alpacas. How cool is that?!

Sandy said...

I love this post! Colors make your heart sing. :-)

Nolan said...

The other day I came into the house to hear Em wailing. When asked what was wrong, she said Daddy had given them "grown-up plates" to eat off of. I told her she ate off of grown-up plates every day (Fiesta). "But...but...but...these are BORING!" she replied (Denby!).