01 May 2007

one step forward, two steps back?

We went straight from work today and met at the house. B spent pulled up the staples and carpet nail strips from the living room and part of the dining room, before we got to work on removing the rest of the carpet. We managed to get the whole house clear of carpet, and found the old hardwoods under every single room, and most of them in good shape. The only space without hardwoods is the main hallway, which is covered in plywood. We believe there are some, maybe partial hardwoods under there, but have to decide whether or not we pull it all up and see what's what, or go the cheap and easy route and just paint it a darker, shiny color like red and put down a couple of carpet runners. But...I think we'll probably end up getting the hardwods redone.

We cleaned out the workshop, too, which was a mess. Wearing masks and armed with a broom and dustpan, we cleared out most of the dirt and leaves. We found a few old item, like an old, huge Mason jar and a fly fishing pole. Among the old leaves and miscellaneous trash were at least two squirrell skulls and one vertebrae. We also disturbed a mound of fire ants, not good. So my shopping list for tomorrow: knee pads for pulling staples out of hardwood, fire ant bait, and something else I've already forgotten.

Want to type more but am falling asleep! (edit* Typed this last night around 10:30pm, but apparently Blogger thinks I live in the midwest, since it shows a posting two hours earlier. Checked my time zone, and it says Eastern...anybody know how to fix?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLLA!!! You're lucky. My ass is plumb, boobs are level, and personality is square. See, who uses the word square? Having those three things be an issue with a house, not bad.
So awsome! New house! When's the party?!?!
I've got an announcement. I have a new wrestling name. I will now be referred to as Rutty Rukus Rebel Rut-dawg. It's sure to strike fear.

Rebecca Rutland
"Rutty Rukus Rebel Rut-dawg"

Anonymous said...

Our first house was built by a contractor, a cheap contractor. So the house had a little of this, a little of that, nothing matched. But we learned a lot, like you have to sand sheetrock mud before you paint, how to remove and put up wallpaper, how to redo a bathroom and lay tiles, and how to get through one day with the toilet on the back porch because the floor isn't ready for it yet. Have fun!

Mykel Strong said...

You so make me want to move into an apartment! If this is adult life, I think I want to be a kid again...sigh! Have fun, I had the home repair bug this weekend and I do not want to think about my honey do list.

mulaohu said...

Hardwood is SO much better than carpet, isn't it? With my first house we pulled up all the carpet too, then refinished the original floor. Looking forward to more pix!

Anonymous said...

So if you guys are dork and nerd which one are you Nolan? Anyway, it feels good to get this stuff off your chest, though, doesnt it? Any chance you have any pictures of the squirrel skull or vertabrae? Yeah, I'm a science nut. I know. Well at the end of the day, you can say, its your house! -Jacinta